In 2008, Judge Richard Collins was appointed to the District Court of Maryland for Prince George’s County. During his time on the bench as a full-time judge, he presided over hundreds of personal injury matters.
Currently, Judge Collins works as a Senior Judge for the District Courts throughout Maryland. He is known to be a fair and impartial jurist. As a senior judge, he was appointed by the court to mentor newly appointed judges in the State of Maryland.
Prior to his appointment, Judge Collins was in private practice at Vallario & Collins from 1975 until 2008 where he had a robust motor tort and premises liability practice. He participated in numerous mediations and binding arbitrations in his extensive work experience in the tort field.
While in private practice, Judge Collins was selected by the members of the Prince George’s County Bar Association to serve for eight years on the Judicial Nominating Commission. During this time, Judge Collins was also appointed to serve on the Court of Appeals Character Committee.
Judge Collins has attended various judicial education programs. In December 2016, he attended and completed the forty-hour “Mediation Training Program” offered by the Maryland Judiciary through the University of Maryland Law School. Additionally, Judge Collins continues to participate in various, multi-day programs enhancing judicial skills.
- 1975 to 2008 – Partner, Vallario & Collins, Attorneys-At-Law
- 2008 to 2017 – Associate Judge, District Court of Maryland
- 1975 – Present – Maryland State Bar Association
- 1975 – Present – Prince George’s County Bar Association
- 1980 to 2008 – American Trial Lawyers Association
- 1990 to 1998 – Trial Courts Nomination Commission
- 1995 to 1999 – Maryland Bar Grievance Commission – Panel Member
- 1990 to 2008 – Court of Appeals Character Committee for 4th Judicial Circuit
- Member of various community organizations and Home Owners Associations
- 1967 to 1970 – Farleigh Dickinson University, B.A.
- 1971-1974 – University of Maryland Law School, J.D.
- Real Estate Investor for 40 years