Judge Bowman was the Administrative Judge for the Kent County Circuit Court from 2009 until his retirement in 2017. Prior to taking the Bench, he was an attorney in general practice, engaged in nearly all areas of the law for thirty-six years. As an attorney, he handled litigation in all Maryland State Courts, including the Maryland Courts of Appeal. Currently, he serves as a Senior Circuit Court Judge and sits as a member of the Judicial Council’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee. His strength lies in the breadth of his experience in the law, both as an attorney and a jurist, and the respect which he enjoys among his peers.
- County Administrative Judge, Kent County Circuit Court, 2nd Judicial Court, since August 6, 2009.
- Circuit Representative, 2nd Judicial Circuit, Conference of Circuit Judges, 2014-16.
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Judicial Council, 2017
- Attorney, Board of Zoning Appeals, Kent County, 1982-89
- Court Examiner, Kent County Circuit Court, 1987-2009
- Member, Ethics Commission, Kent County, 1992-93
- Member, Inquiry Committee, Attorney Grievance Commission, 1994-97
- Attorney, Board of Zoning Appeals, Town of Galena, 2000-09.
- Town Attorney for Chestertown, 1973-97, and Millington, 1973-87, 2002-08
- Admitted to Maryland Bar, 1973.
- East Carolina University, B.A. (political science), 1969
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1973
- Associate, Elroy G. Boyer, 1973-76 (law clerk, 1971, 1972)
- Partner, Boyer and Bowman, 1976-79
- Sole practitioner, 1979-2009.
- Member, American Bar Association, 1973
- Maryland State Bar Association, 1973-(Committee on Public Awareness of the Judiciary, 1978-79; Committee on the Resolution of Fee Disputes, 1982-87)
- Kent County Bar Association, 1973-(President, 1982-83)
- Board of Trustees, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL), 1993-94
- Board of Directors, Kent Savings and Loan, 1991-97
- Board of Directors, Centerville National Bank of Maryland, 1997-2009
- Board of Directors, Shore Bancshares, Inc., 1998-2009
- Advisory Board of Directors, PUMH of Maryland, Inc., 2000-09
- Advisory Council, Mid-Shore Community Foundation, 2002-2009
- Chair, United Fund of Kent County, 1974-75
- Member, Chestertown Optimists Club, 1974-82 (President, 1975-76)
- Board of Trustees, Kent School, 1976-89
- Board of Governors, Chester River Yacht and Country Club, 1983-88
- Board of Directors. Kent Youth, Inc., 1994-97
- Appreciation Award, Chestertown Optimists Club, 1976
- Golden Key Award, Mid-Shore Community Foundation, 2004
- Vestry, Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Chestertown, Maryland, 1990-93 (Preservation Fund Committee, 2003-06).