Daniel A. LaPlaca is a sole practitioner in Owings, Maryland. His practice has focused primarily in the areas of administrative law, alternate dispute resolution, real estate, commercial transactions, contract and procurement, corporate law, elder law, veteran’s affairs and estate planning.
He has served as the Chairman for the Salvation Army Advisory Council in Prince George’s County (1997 – 2002), and Chairman of the Prince George’s County Workforce Services Corporation (2000-2006), where he oversaw the management of a $10 Million per year non-profit corporation with 60 employees. He has also participated as an active member of several volunteer boards in Maryland and Prince George’s County, including The Maryland National-Capital Building Association, The Prince George’s County Board of Trade, the Prince George’s County Chapter of the National Conference, the American Heart Association, and the United Way. He has served on the Board of the Prince George’s County Supplemental Higher Education Authority, and Queen Anne High School, and he is an alumnus of the 1997 class of Leadership Washington. He is highly regarded for his expertise and experience by commercial and residential builders in Southern Maryland and throughout the state and is sought after as an Arbitrator and Mediator by businesses and consumers in this industry.
Daniel has represented numerous clients in a variety of proceedings before many different State and local agencies, including the Medicaid Appeals Board, The Maryland Board of Realtors, The Maryland Public Service Commission, The Motor Vehicle Administration, The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the Maryland Insurance Commission, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, The Prince George’s County Board of Appeals, The Prince George’s County Board of License Commissioners, and The Prince George’s County District Council.
- He has served as a hearing examiner in municipal condemnation cases, physician disciplinary proceedings, and as a mediator for the District Court of Maryland since 2004.
- He has served as a private arbitrator in numerous contract cases, applying the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
- He is admitted to practice before the Veterans’ Administration
- He has represented numerous Federal contractors; reviewing RFP’s and helping to prepare responsive proposals, negotiating and preparing subcontracts and teaming agreements, mediating disputes with client/contracting officers, subcontractors and financial institutions, challenging debarments, and filing appeals from adverse decisions.
- He graduated with honors from the University of Virginia in 1981 with a B.S. in Commerce, and obtained his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1984.
- He has been an adjunct professor at the Prince George’s County Community College for three (3) years teaching Business Law I and II to aspiring accountants and paralegals.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate (registered Title Insurance Agent)
- Business and Corporate Law
- State and Federal Procurement
- Non-profit governance
- Administrative Law
- Estate Planning
- Elder Law
- Financial Institutions
- Condominiums and Homeowners Associations
- Commercial Transactions
- Veteran’s Benefits
- State and Local Advocacy
- Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Maryland, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1990
- Certified to practice before the Board of Veteran’s Affairs
- Registered State Lobbyist
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. – 1984
- University of Virginia
- B.S. – 1981
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Major: Commerce (Marketing and M.I.S.)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Prince George’s County Salvation Army Advisory Council, Chairman, (1997 – 2002)
- Prince George’s County Workforce Services Corporation, Chairman (2000-2006)
- The Prince George’s County Board of Trade, Member
- The Prince George’s County Chapter of the National Conference, Member
- American Heart Association, Member
- United Way, Member
- Leadership Washington, Alumnus 1997
Past Employment Positions
- Edidin & LaPlaca, 1985 – 1986
- Reichelt, Nussbaum, Brown, Dukes & LaPlaca, Partner, 1986 – 1998
- Knight, Manzi, Nussbaum and LaPlaca, Partner, 1998 — Present