- Board of Examiners of Psychologists, State of Maryland, 1977-present
- Board of Psychologist Examiners, District of Columbia, 1979-present
- National Register of Health Services Providers in Psychology, 1982-Present
- Board of Psychology, Florida Department of Health, 2010
Summary of Practice
Director, Psychology and Education Associates, 1980 to Present
Practice with emphasis on psychological and neuropsychological evaluations in cases of:
- Child Abuse and Neglect
- Adult Guardianship and Competency
- Childhood Learning and Attention Disorders
- College Student and Adult Learning and Attention Disorders
- Dual Diagnosis (Mental Disorder and Alcohol/Substance Abuse)
- Dual Diagnosis (Mental Disorder and Mental Retardation)
- Developmental Disabilities
- Neurologic Disorders (esp. Traumatic Brain Injury, Vascular and Neuronal Dementias, Seizure Disorders, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis)
- Psychoeducational Evaluations for Parochial Elementary and High Schools in the Archdiocese of Washington
Agencies and Organizations Served
- Model Family Court of Charles County, Maryland
- Family and Juvenile Courts of Prince George’s, Calvert, St. Mary’s, Anne Arundel, Dorchester, Queen Anne’s, Talbot Kent and Caroline County, Maryland
- Maryland State Department of Juvenile Services
- Maryland State Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Developmental Disabilities Administration
- Departments of Social and Human Services of Prince George’s, Charles, St. Mary’s, Calvert, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Dorchester, Kent, Talbot, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Worcester and Wicomico County, Maryland
- District of Columbia Child and Family Services Administration
- Superior Courts of the District of Columbia
- Local Management Boards of Charles, St. Mary’s, Prince George’s, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Baltimore County, Maryland
- Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital, Mann Residential Treatment Center
- Association for Retarded Citizens of Southern Maryland
- Psychiatric Institute of Washington
Teaching and Supervision Experience
Adjunct Associate Professor of Neuropsychology, The Catholic University of America,
Graduate School and Arts and Sciences, 1980-2004 (Retired.) Developed and taught Doctoral Neuropsychology Track: trained and supervised doctoral students in APA-accredited Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology; developed and supervised practicum and externship training in clinical neuropsychology; reader for Master’s Thesis and Doctoral Dissertation research.
Developed and Presented Continuing Education Courses and Seminars Accredited by:
- Board of Examiners of Psychologists, State of Maryland
- Board of Social Work Examiners, State of Maryland
- American Medical Association
Developed and Presented Continuing Education Courses and Seminars for:
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, Model Family Court Program
- Judicial Institute of Maryland
- Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers
- University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Charles County Human Services Partnership and Local Management Board
- The Catholic University of America, Office of Students with Disabilites
- Mid-Shore Mental Health, Core Services Agency for Children
- Departments of Social Services, Prince George’s and St. Mary’s Counties
- Psychiatric Institute of Washington
- The Kingsbury Center and Lab School of Washington, D. C.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts with High Honors, Major: Psychology; Minors: Sociology, Math and Statistics. The University of Maryland, College Park, June, 1971
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology, APA-Accredited Doctoral Program in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. The Catholic University of America, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; requirements completed 12/9/1975.
- Predoctoral Traineeships: Washington Veteran’s Administration Hospital, July 1972-June 1974; Neuropsychology Laboratory with focus on Halstead-Reitan Neuropsychological Test Battery. Rotations in Inpatient Psychiatry, Neurology, Orthopedics and Dialysis Units
- Doctoral Internship, Miami Veteran’s Administration Hospital, July 1974-July 1975. Grand Rounds Seminars and Rotations in Neuropsychology Laboratory, Inpatient Psychiatry, Neurology, Spinal Cord Injury Unit, Extended Care (Terminal Illness) Neurodegenerative Disorders and Hospital Based Home Care.
- Doctoral Internship Off-Station Training at the Jackson Memorial Hospital and the Henderson Child and Family Clinics of Broward County, Hollywood Center
- Postdoctoral Training in Child and Adult Neuropsychology at the Psychological Services Center and Learning Disabilities Center, Clinton, Maryland (1975-1977.)
Special Honors and Awards
- “Child Welfare Advocate of the Year,” September 2002. Mid-Atlantic Region of the Child Welfare League of America: National Accrediting Organization for State and Municipal Departments of Social and Human Services.
- Doctoral Dissertation Defense, Pass with Distinction. December 9, 1975. The Catholic University of America, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Department of Psychology.
- Doctoral Comprehensive Examinations, Pass with Distinction. October 1973. The Catholic University of America, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Department of Psychology.
- University of Maryland, Four-Year Dean’s List, Class of 1971; Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Academic Fraternity; Four-Year Maryland State Senatorial Academic Scholarship.
- St. John DeMatha Catholic High School, Salutatorian, Class of 1967. Quill and Scroll Journalism Award; State Actuarial Society Math Award; Four-Year English Award; Four-Year Full Academic Scholarship
- American Psychological Association, Division of Clinical Neuropsychology
- Maryland Psychological Association, Fellow
- National Academy of Neuropsychology
- Council for the National Register of Health Services Providers in Psychology
Lewis, J. E. “Supervision Neglect.” A Brochure Developed for Community and Statewide Distribution, Dr. J. E. Lewis Author. Published for the Prince George’s
County Citizen’s Review Board. 2004.
Lewis, J.E. and Spicknall, K. Neuropsychological Deficits in Seven Women with Silicone Implant Disease. Paper presented at the 18th Annual Convention of the National Academy of Neuropsychology. Abstract of paper published in the Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 1999.
Lewis, J.E. Sexually Traumatized Children: Characteristics and Consequences of False Positives with Anatomically Detailed Dolls. Family Violence & Sexual Assault Bulletin, Vol. 8. No. 4. December, 1992, (Abstract and Summary).
Lewis, J.E. Battered Woman Syndrome – Neglected Diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injuries. Family Violence & Sexual Assault Bulletin, Vol. 8, No. 4, December, 1992 (Abstract and Summary).
Lewis, J.E. Societal Neglect by Neuropsychology: Special Populations of Brain-Injured Children. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, Vol. 6, No. 3, August, 1992. Abstract of Division 40 Paper Presentation at the APA National Centennial Convention (Summer, 1992).
Lewis, J.E. Pertussis Vaccine Encephalopathy: No Proof It’s a Myth. Essay/Letter to Editor, Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Volume 264, Nov. 14, 1990.
Lewis, J.E. and Savage, R.P. Jr. Expanding the umbrella of neuropsychological (NP) toxicology: Serial NP testing of three preschool children having moderate to severe reactions to pertussis inoculation. Paper presented at the American Psychological Association Convention, Boston, August, 1990 (Division of Clinical Neuropsychology). Abstract published in: The Clinical Neuropsychologist, Vol. 4, No. 3, August, 1990.
Lewis, J.E. Neuropsychological Toxicology in Pertussis Vaccine Encephalopathies: Renewed Public Health Controversy. Paper presented at the American Psychological Association Convention, Boston, August, 1990 (Division of Clinical Neuropsychology). Abstract published in: The Clinical Neuropsychologist, Vol. 4, No. 3, August, 1990.
Lewis, J.E. Consulting Editor: CHOOSE LIFE! – A Program for the Teen Suicide Prevention task Force. 1990.
Lewis, J.E. and Hordan, R.B. Neuropsychological Assessment of Phencyclidine Abusers. In: Phencyclidine: An Update. USPHS National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Monograph Series, 1986.
Lewis, J.E. and Mider, P.A. Neuropsychological Assessment in Polydrug Abuse. In Baker, S.I. and Craig, R. (Eds.): Drug Dependent Patients: Treatment and Research. Charles Thomas, Inc. Springfield, Illinois, 1982.
Lewis, J.E. Measurement of brain-behavior relationships with neuropsychological tests: Applications for educational diagnosis of learning disabilities. Learning Disabilities; An Audio Journal for Continuing Education. Grune and Stratton, Inc. August, 1981.
Lewis, J.E. Brain-behavior relationships in the educational diagnosis of learning disabilities. Abstract published for the ACLD Bookstore, 1980 International ACLD Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Lewis, J.E. Relationship of A-B type and therapist personality characteristics to leadership styles in short-term therapy groups. Dissertation Abstracts International, Fall 1976.
Lewis, J.E. and Mider, P.A. Effects of leadership styles on content and work styles of short-term therapy groups Journal of Counseling Psychology. 1973, 20(2), 137-141.
Wunderlich, R.A., Lozes, J. And Lewis, J.E. Recidivism rates of group therapy participants and other adolescents processed by a juvenile court. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, and Practice, 1974, 11(3), 243-245.