Judge Paul A. Hackner (Ret.) retired from the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County in July 2015. Since that time, he has been engaged in the private practice of alternative dispute resolution. His concentration has been on arbitration and mediation of personal injury, professional malpractice, contracts, real estate, trusts/estates and business disputes.
From May of 2002 until Judge Paul A. Hackner’s (Ret.) retirement, he was a judge on the Circuit Court, preceded by 5 years as a District Court judge. While on the Circuit Court, he served as Administrative Judge for the County and for the Fifth Circuit (Howard and Carroll Counties). Judge Paul A. Hackner (Ret.) received special training, which resulted in his being designated as one of the Business/Technology judges as well as one of the Advanced Science/Technology judges.
Prior to Judge Paul A. Hackner’s (Ret.) appointment to the bench, he practiced law for 22 years concentrating on complex business litigation, as well as personal injury cases for plaintiffs and defendants. Earlier in his career, he served as Assistant State’s Attorney and then, Assistant Public Defender.
- Private practice of Arbitration and Mediation, July 2015 – present
- Circuit Court Judge for Anne Arundel County, 2002 – July 2015
- Circuit Court of Anne Arundel County Administrative Judge, 2014-2015
- Certified in Business / Technology as well as Science / Technology adjudication
- Specially designated to Court of Special Appeals of Maryland
- Judge – District Court of Maryland for Anne Arundel County, 1997-2002
- Partner – Klos & Hackner, Annapolis, MD Litigation of business and tort cases, 1994-1997
- Partner – Blumenthal, Wayson et al. Annapolis, MD Litigation of business and tort cases, 1987-1994
- Partner – Wortman, Hackner & Marcus, Beltsville, MD Litigation of business and tort cases, 1985-1987
- Associate – O’Malley, Miles, Farrington & McCarthy, Upper Marlboro, MD Litigation of business and tort cases, 1977-1985
- Assistant State’s Attorney, Upper Marlboro, MD Litigation of criminal cases, 1975-1977
- Maryland, 1975
- District of Columbia, 1976
- United States District Court, 1979
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1984
- J.D. Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, 1975
- Member of Catholic University Law Review
- B.A. University of Maryland, College Park, 1971